0208 11 11 289

Personalised Registration Transfers

For anyone with a personalised registration, buying a new car has the extra hassle of having to transfer your number plate to the new car. But for the first time ever some clever soul has written a simple guide to doing this – me!

(There is another way of transferring a registration, but the following, in my opinion, is the best in the majority of situations.)


This is a piece of paper that shows that you own the rights to a particular registration number when it is not actually on a car.

1) Download form V317 from the DVLA website (click here for the form).

2) Complete sections 1, 2 and 3.

3) Send the form to your local DVLA office (you can find a list of the local offices here) along with:
– Your V5C certificate
– MOT (if your car is over 3 years old)
– Copy of your tax disc (not strictly necessary, but often helps)
– Cheque for £105.00 payable to DVLA Swansea

4) Wait a week or two for the DVLA to send you:
– A letter confirming the new registration numberassigned to your current car
– An MOT (with the new registration)
– A new tax disc (showing the new reg.)
– The Retention Certificate for your personalised registration

5) Buy some plastic number plates to put on your car that show the new registration. (You can buy these from Halfords or somewhere similar, but it is easier and cheaper to order them online. I always use

6) Fit the new number plates.

7) IMMEDIATELY afterwards, swap the tax with the one the DVLA sent (and post the old one back to them in the envelope they provided).

8) Wait anything up to a further 4 weeks for your new V5C log book to arrive (N.B. officially, you shouldn’t sell your car without this).


To do this involves much of the same form filling and waiting for the DVLA to send stuff back…

9) Buy a new car. (Let me know if you need any help with this!)

10) Complete section 1 of the retention document.

11) Download form V62 and complete the whole thing.

12) Send the following to your local DVLA office:
– Retention certificate
– Form V62
– Your V5C ‘New Keepers Supplement’ (small green slip you got when you bought the car)
– MOT (again, only if your car is over 3 years old)
– Copy of your tax disc

12) Again, wait a week or two for the DVLA to send you back:
– A letter authorising you to put your personalised registration number on your new car
– An MOT (with the new registration)
– A new tax disc (showing the new reg.)

13) Put the actual number plates you took off your old car on to your new car (or buy a fresh set if you are feeling particularly flush).

14) Swap the tax disc over.

15) Patiently wait for your new V5C log book to be sent.

For those of you who actually made it this far through the newsletter: I commend you! This really is one of those emails that you file away until you or someone you know needs it…

See you plater!

Ashley Winston
(Founder & Owner)

At Palmdale we specialise in taking all the hassle out of the car buying process:


  • YOU tell us exactly what car you want
  • WE search for every available car in the UK that meets your description
  • WE negotiate with the seller
  • WE make sure that the car is perfect
  • WE collect the car and bring it to your door
  • YOU enjoy your new wheels for many years to come

These newsletters are our attempt to teach you everything we know about car buying; however, if you would like us to find and buy your next car for you, all you have to do is ask!